Monday, June 29, 2009

Memories of Bryn Mawr

How do you grow a pineapple in Boston?
On my walk yesterday, I passed by the garden at Radcliffe College that has always reminded me of a special place I used to spend many hours at Bryn Mawr College. The Taft Garden is located behind the building in which I spent quite a few hours freshman year. I took an archaeology course and found some wonderful egg-shaped, sleep-inducing chairs in a reading library where I spent many hours "studying." The garden was one of the most peaceful spots on campus and the reflecting pool was especially nice in hot weather. One time a fellow student and I decided to skip class, The History of Democratic Authority, and discuss the reading on our own in this lovely spot. It was too nice a spring day to stay indoors and plow through Marx and Hegel, so instead we did so in the shade of flowering trees and serenaded by the splash of the fountain. Upon returning to Haverford, we found out that class had been cancelled.

I have heard that some Mawrters used the pool after hours for more natural interactions with the environment. At Haverford we used the locked, fenced faculty pool for illicit swimming.

The one in Radcliffe was just remodeled and looks beautiful. It is surrounded by beds of irises which are in the last stages of blooming. A lovely, stone-filled fountain graces one end, and trees and benches line the sides. It is right next to a busy road, so some noise comes in, but it is a nice spot nonetheless.
I photomerged four images to create this shot. Probably should have take pictures of the corners to really make a good merge.

3 comments:

EmilyG said...

Yup. I must admit to having had several natural interactions with nature in the Taft Garden fountain. *grin*

stlbanjo said...

heh, many of my friends did.

Unknown said...

Lovely -- lush center green