Monday, June 21, 2010

Ice Cream Castles in the Air

Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere, I've looked at cloud that way.
But now they only block the sun, they rain and snow on everyone.
So many things I would have done but clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall.
I really don't know clouds at all.

Taken from "Both Sides, Now" by Joni Mitchell

Glorious sunsets are not confined to the American Southwest and other equally amazing places, though they are pretty spectacular there. It just takes looking up and noticing they are there amongst the buildings and wires. On the day I took this picture, I was walking down to Porter Square to get some groceries. I had a great view of the clouds pulled from N. C. Wyeth illustrations or other books from that era. These clouds invited Bostonians to enjoy their sense of wonder if they would just look up.
During one of our many powerful rainstorms, worthy even of Midwestern thunderstorms, about a third of our tree fell down. I wrote about it in a previous post. Here are the photos.Neatly chopped pieces
The very big stack of limbs awaiting chipping.The previous owners of the house set up the black composter in the middle of an ivy patch, added lots of non-compostable items, and left it to sit there. I have cleared thorn bushes and other things, including a mosquito breading pit known as a pond, from next to the garage and set up both the drum composter for kitchen waste and the black one for yard waste and finishing the kitchen waste. Yardwork continues. I just managed to convince the bushes in front to not encroach on the sidewalk. Had to use the hedge trimmers to do the convincing!

No comments: