Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Nature of Glass

I know that many of my posts in recent months reveal my love/hate relationship with the long winters in New England. I do not like the duration and darkness, but I love the ice and snow (until I have to shovel too much of it). Ice, especially, is an amazing substance that appears in a vast array of forms. I think its changeable and impermanent nature makes it even more attractive, because a striking image will be gone tomorrow if not in a few minutes' time.

Glass captures a few of the qualities of ice in a more permanent way. This year's fundraising auction item that my class worked on was a set of four serving plates that they designed the pattern to be etched. I gave some parameters to make the groups create images that would end up looking like a set but still gave them enough freedom to make their own piece. This is the result.

No comments: