Monday, February 09, 2009

Ice Again

I decided to walk to school today. I have not done so for quite a while, so it was with some trepidation that I laced up my boots and set off. The walking path in the park nearby was a frozen river as many other sections on the walk were. I knew that they would mostly be melted by the afternoon when I had to push Rose home.

This is a close up of the walkway. Ice makes such an amazing variety of patterns. Many have to be appreciated before people come and stomp on them to hear the cracking sound.
The early morning light lit the landscape with an amber light. Glistening stretches of ice covered the pathway, so I walked mostly on the snowy sides.On the way home, I came across this suspended shelf of ice. It was about an inch from the ground and had trapped some moisture and heat. Large drops of water condensed on the underside of the ice. Ice can be transparent, presenting a window into a world of its creating.

Rose enjoyed the long walk home.
The ripples of this paper-thin ice refracted the light to create a wavy view of the leaves behind it. The upper ripples and other frozen forms refracted the light, and it glistened as I walked past.
Ice is ephemeral. Even as I stood and photographed these thin ice sheets, they changed form and shape. This masterpiece was probably only appreciated by my and will never return in exactly this form.

No comments: