Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The sound of water

Everywhere, the sound of water permeates the environment. Drips and drops emanate from every place water can slowly collect and fall in single drops. Splashes and gurgles follow the conjoining of all those drips and drops and where the banks of snow and ice meet warm pavement or soak in the sunshine. Pools stand on top of ice fields, rivers run where none usually exist, and everywhere, there is the sound of water. On my walk this morning, the cemetery through which I pass was lit up with the sun. I no longer walk through dawn--sunrise painted pastels to accompany my breakfast. Full light and the warmth that comes with it fills my hour walk from home to school.On the way home, I passed the same spot where the translucent ice sheets caught my attention the other day. In their place was a babbling brook of meltwater.

Rose fell asleep on the walk home. I lowered the seat back so she could recline and let her snooze to the sounds of water and the bumps of icy remnants that litter the sidewalks.
However, she soon perked up. This video is for Avi!



And nothing is like a cardboard box or soda bottle for a toy!

2 comments:

EmilyG said...

I've gotten a bit behind on these, but managed to catch up this morning. LOVE all your ice photos! And Rose is such a sweet, smiley thing! Thanks for sharing all these!

stlbanjo said...

Thanks Em,

Ice is nearly all gone, and I am happy--savoring the memories of the beauty but loving the warmth and traction.