Sunday, April 12, 2009

No best way home

The Philly skyline from the car as Reena drove me to the train station where she was picking up Lisa who will be here tomorrow with Reena.
Philly has upgraded its train stations since my college days. There are clear signs that let you know when trains are arriving and on what platform. It is a wonderful modern addition to the very elegant 30th Street Station.
I love the sea coast from the train window. The sun was setting and painting the salt flats that run out to the sea with a golden color. The dried grasses picked up this pallette and reflected it back with subtle variations in hue.


Travel between Boston and Philly happens one of three ways: by car, by train, or by plane. There are bits at the end that can be by regional rail, subway, or taxi. The most comfortable but longest is the train. I like this method except for the very long time it takes to get back. Going to Philly, for some reason, is shorter. No security lines, easy access from home and from Elkins Park, comfortable seats, a quiet car, a snack car, and human sized toilets all contribute to the comfort of this mode. However, it took me from 2:00 P.M to about 10:30 P.M. to travel door to door today. Faster and still with some of the convenience of the train is auto travel. No bathrooms, and getting up to walk around stops the forward progress. Also, there is the stress of the driving itself, and there can be really bad traffic especially around New York. The most stressful for me, but also the fastest is plane. I hate airport security, and I get wigged out about getting to the plane on time. There are more restrictions on what you can take both in content and in quantity. Before I left Philly, I took Rose on a walk to look at the spring flowers that have arrived there ahead of Boston.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the brief train video.