Friday, January 09, 2009

Back to School

Last year, I had a student teacher from Lesley University. In return for the work of being a supervising teacher, I received a credit for one course at the school. I was supposed to use the voucher by last semester, but with the new baby, new job role, and then Reena's broken ankle, it just did not seem the time to take on a course as well. Now that much is settled and moving more smoothly and the extended voucher is only good for this semester, it was time to enroll. I have not taken a formal college course for quite a while and am looking forward to doing so. I have chosen a course called Teaching the Fundamentals which is for students going into fine arts education. I look forward to learning much about integrating art into the main curriculum.
I pushed Rose's stroller into the elevator and was prepared to hunt down the registrar's office. Amazingly, it was an open desk area just outside the elevator with very approachable people. I was able to enroll and shift down the counter to pay. This is a far cry from my previous experiences in higher education in which the registrar's office and finance offices are often far if not in separate buildings, and they are either hidden or staffed by people whose job it seems is to keep enrollment down. No, this was just too easy. What a pleasure.

No comments: