Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Cow Doughnuts

We have now set up a rug on which Rose spends much of her time playing. Easier to get around on than wood flooring and somewhat more insulated from the New England Winter cold.

Today I was incapacitated by a cold I picked up returning from Sydney, so I called in sick. School, however, was canceled, so I am not out a sick day.

In looking at the toys on the rug, I am struck by the prevalence of plastic, noise-producing gizmos--exactly the thing I wanted to avoid. The pink donuts-shaped piece in the middle is covered with soft Holstein black and white on the other side and moos when you press the right place. A cow doughnut. We have a wood rattle and a wood teething ring (on the carpet).

Recent cool toys I have found are at: Earthentree, Hazelnut Kids, Oompa, Happy Green Baby, Tiny Bird's Organic Baby, Progressive Kids, and EcoToys are just a start. I am aiming for a bit more of a balance; however, life and reality may just be plastic, lit-up, and sound-producing. On the positive, we do have tons of books!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fight the urge to give in to noise makers and batteries! Life is so much more pleasant when you don't have repeating poor sound quality gibberish in the background. Why should we train our babies to take annoying and overstimulating sounds and sensations as normal! (OK, I'll get off my soap box now.)

And if you like Sheep in a Jeep, you should check out Sheep out to Eat, Sheep on a Ship, and Sheep in a Shop. all great fun. Enjoy babyhood! :)

stlbanjo said...

Heh. I really want to have quiet, well crafted toys. Gotta go get them, though.