Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Communication

Email and blogs, along with other Internet features, have created such a different style of communication from snail mail and telephone. I remember as a kid that I would call a person up, and if they weren't there, then the phone would just ring. Later, answering machines at least let them know you had called and the topic you wanted to talk about. Letters could be copied and sent individually to many people. Most notably chain letters served this purpose, but mostly they were a one-to-one type of correspondence similar to the phone.

Cell phones have changed the magnitude of this type of communication, but I do not think they have changed the manner of communication. The expectation when dialing a person is that they will be available and that they will pick up. Any person can be asked any thing at any time. I resisted getting a cell for quite a while, and it was only the airport connection and long distance features during a year of St. Louis to Boston dating that I was convinced to finally get one. I still have issue with the prevalence of personal conversation in public space and the interruption of time with people caused by answering cell phones. I replaced my first cell with a combination cell and pda. I couldn't carry two electronics around, and syncing everything was a nightmare. I wanted one without a keyboard that I could afford, and this Kyocera 7135 was what I came up with. I bought one on eBay, and it was set up to work with my provider, Verizon. Getting them to make the change, well that is another story.

IM, Blogs, and email insert an element of multi-party communication that formerly happened face to face in the same physical space. IM is most analogous with the conversation happening "instantly." Blogs create an extended conversation space for people to weave in and out as they choose. I have also found that people of like minds wander in and out of each other's blogs allowing for connections that were not possible before. Email combines elements of the two creating a disjointed conversation space that has a fluidity that can be a strength or weakness for communication.

I am fascinated in the changes that these communication tools have wrought on the psyche, habits, and cultural norms of the people using them.

Another form of communication is the parent-teacher conference. I have finished a full day of those and am looking at a half day of them after teaching tomorrow. This time, no one came in with an agenda, and all went fairly smoothly.

Well off to grading and curriculum; I will leave you with the latest fractal called Snowflake in honor of the recent weather that did not close my school on Monday despite the over 350 area schools that were out.

No comments: