Friday, February 24, 2006

Ghost Appears, Dancing Light AWOL

Here is a closeup of the ghost fractal. I like this even better than the original. My dancing light fractal is still AWOL, so I am redering it for the fourth time. Like they always say, "Fourth time's a charm." You can see why I called this one Ghost.Today was pretty productive. Did some grading, then went on one of those never-ending and always-increasing errand runs. It started with a wonderful massage. Then off to Target for a new pair of sweats and a floor lamp so I can read at night in bed. Neither were to be found, and I hopped over to another mega-store, Home Depot, for the lamp. They had it. The sweats, however, made me think as I am trying to change my buying habits to support more local and fair wage goods. I think I will go online and find an organic, fair wage pair for some ridiculous price compared to the 5 bucks that the non-existent Target ones were supposed to be. I'll bite the bullet and hope that most of that cash is actually going to the producers and manufacturers. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Tim said...

How about a second-hand store like Value Village or Salvation Army or Goodwill? They often have some brand new items and always have a lot of stuff in good condition.

It's definitely cheaper and some of the proceeds go to charity and the rest goes to a company that gives work to people who are semi-employable. Some people don't like the "used" idea, but if you think about it, everything you own and wear right now is used.

I got a breadmaker for $20 that was practically new. And many other great bargains too numerous to list.

stlbanjo said...

The vast majority of my clothing comes from thrift stores. I had the ones in St. Louis figured out and made regular rounds there. I have yet to get the Boston ones down. I am a firm believer in the values you mentioned, but there is also need for new clothing to be purchased from non-sweatshop labor and of organic materials. If no one buys new, then the thrift store clothing will remain traditional. Gotta start hitting the cycle at the top as well as in the reuse market.