Saturday, December 24, 2005

Birthday

On my 21st birthday, two friends attempted to take me out for a beer. In 1991 in St. Louis on Christmas Eve, not a single beer serving establishment was open. We finally went to the Limit Grocer, an establishment swept aside by the gentrification of the Loop. I dutifully got a six-pack from the case and bought it from the cashier. He did not card me, so my friends carried me back into the store and demanded that I be carded as the 21st birthday ritual required.

Today saw another Chinese dinner (you can always find a Chinese restaurant open on Christmas Eve) and a movie. Thanks Avi, Gail, and Reena for the evening. Thanks for all the phone calls.

On the way back from seeing The Family Stone, we stopped at a local White Hen food store where I discovered injera. What a lucky find. I was introduced to it by a friend in the Masters of Ed program at Webster University. She was from Eretria and invited me to her family meals a few times. I love that spongy sour-dough bread, and I love eating with my fingers.

Other than that, I worked more today on my Cafe Press store. I mostly focused on learning the templates for the different merchandise and using them to create my Midnight Flares Fractal pieces. More to come. My next project will be to make a Spirograph calendar (along with a million other things.) All in all, it was a good birthday.

Spin the dreidel, and if you don't have one, here you go. Just click on the image for a larger pattern. It was taken from www.holidays.net/chanukah/pattern.html

No comments: