Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Of Bikes and Driving in Boston

The day is drawing to a close, and I have begun to knock off some of the things on my list. Calling artisans has happened, straightening the house, and the beginnings of looking for an exercise bike. I went to two exercise equipment stores, and their entry level bikes were around $800. Online, reviews seem to suggest that a reasonable exercise bike can be had for $300-$600. More research is needed. The stores were across Boston from Cambridge where I live. I am relatively new to this area, and after driving through rush hour traffic to get to the stores, I then detoured to go to the excellent Cambridge recycling center and promptly got lost. I made it before the 7:30 closing time, barely. Learning a new area is a process of getting progressively less lost more often. Boston, however, is a little more demanding of the driver, and I have take quite a while to get the minimal mental map of the region that is currently in my head. Plunk me down anywhere in the greater Boston area, and I probably would not even know I was in Boston unless I could see downtown.

On the art front, here is a spirograph that I created last night. There are several that I have scanned, but this is the only one that I have made the background white and cleaned up the pin holes. I think there is a different quality to the art created by hand than computer. I love both, but the variation in pen movement and pressure and the texture of the paper create variences that I can not reproduce with a computer. I hope to soon create a Cafe Press store with various fractals and spirographs as well as some nature shots of repetitive and recursive objects such as ferns.

No comments: