Sunday, January 08, 2006

Thirty Plus Degree Drop

From the Miami heat where swimming pools are a cold but doable option for the aquatically inclined to Boston's snow-dusted sidewalks where outdoor water is mostly in the solid form.

Funerals have been a theme in these last months. This one, of an aunt who I saw rarely, had elements I had not experienced much before. The service in the funeral home was given by preachers who told of my aunt's great kindness and love. At the same time, they made it clear that only believers in Christ Jesus were going to heaven and to not wait too long before converting because, "You never know when it will happen." Most of that was directed at my family who were the "non-believers." I felt as much outside this ceremony as others, and yet this was the first one where I felt personally judged and devalued. I know they don't see it that way, but their passion and zeal skew their perspective so far from mine that we are looking at the same thing from totally different vantage points. They have the security of knowing theirs is completely right.

Other than that, it was a wonderful opportunity to see relatives together, to see my mom, aunt, and uncle laugh, tell stories, and begin the healing process for my uncle and his family. I met the wonderful wife of my cousin whose wedding I missed and their three terrific kids. Seeing my sisters, my other relatives, cousins, etc. was a treat. Also, staying in a nice hotel and sleeping was great. Lastly, not touching work because I was absorbed with family was a nice change.

Back to Boston, dropping many degrees on the way. Warmth, however, was supplied by JD in the form of a message on my phone offering any help including a ride from the airport if needed. Wow, that is the kind of people that make this a better world! Thanks JD.

Now I could work on tomorrow's lesson plans, but...

Off to see more Stargate.

This fractal reminds me of a crown of thorns I have seen on many crucifixes in paintings in museums around the world and of various aliens in scifi shows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AUGH! It's a Shadow ship with smallpox!

JD

stlbanjo said...

That's what it was. Couldn't put a finger on it, but that was what I was seeing.
Thanks again JD.

Anonymous said...

geeks.

(that includes me. i do get the reference.)